Dogs are not allowed to eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs. Granted, we dogs have to eat a large portion of chocolate to get sick, but like humans - once we taste the stuff, we want MORE.
I have never had a taste of chocolate. But, I do smell it all the time.
These are my treats:
These are my mama's:
They both look totally yummy - similar color, cool shapes. But let me tell you, her peanut M&M's make me drop whatever I am doing so I can get a fix! I come running when I see or hear her stick her hand in that bag. And luckily my mama will blow some of her chocolate'y peanut breath my way. It's heaven. It's also teasing...but it's better than nothing.
Since eating her treats would make us sick, she makes sure to put them where Patches and I can not even possibly reach. Sigh. It's tough being a pup.